Possible ways of planning and coding eLua modules is a subject that would
deserve a list for itself :)
But I would like to bring some considerations to this list and to report
my recent experience on writing some experimental modules.
In the hurry of allowing eLua Lua apps to use the OLED display that came
with our LM3S8962 kit, I ended up creating a too-device-oriented module
"disp", a not-generic-enough-api to deserve becoming The Display Module for
eLua. I kind of knew it would be like this from the start but I really
wanted to have it ready, before Bogdan sit to rest and solve it in 3 minutes
:) It was also my first contact with LM low-level library and if ever you
find yourselves in the same situation, don't hesitate, go ahead and code
something that works, even if it is not exactly the eLua way of coding
modules, because I think it is the best way to learn it.
So an eLua "native", (in the sense it is part of the eLua core) "disp"
module was born. It is included in the build when we select one of the LM3S
as the board argument in scons and is (still) on the trunk version in our
repo at BerliOS.
It does it's job, bringing to Lua apps all the functions implemented by
the Luminary Micro RIT128x96x4 (the name of the oled display device) driver
.......... and nothing more.
As we began to use it, we quiclky wrote a small game application, a
single-player Pong, that also uses other devices on the kit-board (buttons,
led's, speaker, .....). So I felt the need to create another module, this
time a simple Lua module, that would be dinamically loaded by Lua's native
mechanism to do that, thru the functions require() and module(). Another
module was born and this time I called it lm3s, as it would expose the LM3S
board devices and some utility functions and this name allows us to use it
like: lm3s.isbuttonpressed( lm3s.button_left ), lm3s.led_1 and so on.
Then I realized that the disp display module I had wrote before should
actually be included in this module, as it is only another device available
in the LM3S boards. I can reimplement the lm3s devices above in C, including
now the disp functions as one of them and call the module lm3s. But some
syntax and implementation issues arise:
1 - It will be a statically loaded module, as I don't know how to
dinamically load C modules in eLua yet. It seems that Mike has done advances
in this area but we haven't established an eLua standard way of doing this
yet (and Bogdan is very busy porting eLua to the AVR32 board we've both got
this week !! :).
(there's also a little discussion here on how to easy the control of
including or not the module in one build but that's for later :)
2 - As the module will now contain more devices and some of them (ie: disp)
have dedicated functions, the syntax possibilities grow and we (me and
Rafael) will bring this discussion very soon (this week) to the list too. I
don't know how you prefere to write things like:
lm3s.disp.stringdraw( "hello world", 10, 10, 15 ) or
lm3s.disp_stringdraw( "hello world", 10, 10, 15 ) or
I am now working on a Timers-in-capture/counter mode module, only playing
with the C code (again, to get used with the LM way of configuring and
counting) and trying to visualize how it will integrate with the already
existant Timer module (that only offers timers in timer mode). I am using
interruptions and this brings yet another requirement; how to treat and
handle them generically in eLua.
Is is so damn fun to be able to code it in so many different ways :) Yet
we will need to find the best generic way for eLua and maybe some
Personally, I haven't visualized the complete portability of this generic
API yet (but Bogdan has !!!!!! :). My feeling is that we will come up with a
subset of features offered commonly by (most) MCU peripherals and find a
clean and unified way of offering specific features/modes/functions of some
of them. Also, some of the important modules (ie: ADC, DAC, ...) will also
have to support external devices thru, for example, an SPI channel and it
will have to be transparent for the final (Lua) user.
Sorry for the long e-mail but the subject is long and I would like only
to introduce it, so we will all be planning and coding our eLua modules in
the same style soon ! :)
I am all ears :)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|