Quantcast

Re: Drivers 100% Lua

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Martin Guy Martin Guy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Drivers 100% Lua

In general I think we should write specific device drivers, like I2C
RTCs and LCD/LED modules in pure Lua and leave eLua for device
drivers. That way they automatically work on all platforms that have
I2C, reserving C drivers just for different classes of hardware and
speed-critical stuff.

I got this wrong for the Mizar32 RTC and 16x2-char LCD interfaces. I
should have written them in Lua, passing an I2C ID (or an LCD/RTC ID)
as an extra parameter. Ho hum. I suppose I could rewrite them and make
mizar32.{rtc,lcd}.* stubs for the new ones...

    M
_______________________________________________
eLua-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev
scdr scdr
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Drivers 100% Lua


On the other hand there are other platforms which have RTC, but it is not an I2C device,
for instance the SAM 3 (Arduino Due).  I used the Mizar32 RTC as a model when writing the
RTC module for that.  (I think some of the other supported micros may have built in RTC -
e.g. some of the STM32.)
Should probably aim to make it transparent, so the user doesn't need to pay attention to
whether the library is written in C or eLua.

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Martin Guy
> Sent: 01/17/14 03:37 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [eLua-dev] Drivers 100% Lua
>
> In general I think we should write specific device drivers, like I2C
> RTCs and LCD/LED modules in pure Lua and leave eLua for device
> drivers. That way they automatically work on all platforms that have
> I2C, reserving C drivers just for different classes of hardware and
> speed-critical stuff.
>
> I got this wrong for the Mizar32 RTC and 16x2-char LCD interfaces. I
> should have written them in Lua, passing an I2C ID (or an LCD/RTC ID)
> as an extra parameter. Ho hum. I suppose I could rewrite them and make
> mizar32.{rtc,lcd}.* stubs for the new ones...
>
>  M
> _______________________________________________
> eLua-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev

_______________________________________________
eLua-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev
Martin Guy Martin Guy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Drivers 100% Lua

On 18 January 2014 07:02, FP AB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> there are other platforms which have RTC, but it is not an I2C device,

That's very true, while "RTC" is a useful generic concept, however
it's implemented. OK. So another driver in Lua implementing rtc.*
using i2c.* for the various chips would be useful. The Mizar32 one
already recognises 2 different I2C chips by probing their I2C
addresses, I should port it to pure Lua unless someone else gets there
first.

    M
_______________________________________________
eLua-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev
1100F 1100F
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Drivers 100% Lua

Hi!

I wrote an RTC driver for i2c for PCF8583, full Lua . It is on Github,
with the driver for PCF8574 with SC39. I'll try to complete it for
another RTC i2c component.
Later, I put online the driver for i2c eeprom memory

It suits it?

https://github.com/AlbertFERNANDES/elua-i2c

Le 18/01/2014 12:49, Martin Guy a écrit :
> That's very true, while "RTC" is a useful generic concept, however
> it's implemented. OK. So another driver in Lua implementing rtc.*
> using i2c.* for the various chips would be useful. The Mizar32 one
> already recognises 2 different I2C chips by probing their I2C
> addresses, I should port it to pure Lua unless someone else gets there
> first.

--


---
Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.
http://www.avast.com

_______________________________________________
eLua-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev
Loading...